MAIN SERVICES OFFERED
- Analysis and development of strategies related to genetic improvement
- Evaluation of the conformation of breeding animals
- Evaluation of the genetic potential of animals for selection purposes and development of selection indexes
- Monitoring animal performance and development of databases
- Development of mating plans in order to select breeding stock
*Services are available for the following animal species: pigs, sheep and cattle
Genetic evaluation of purebred pigs (PEG) program
(only available in French) allows breeders in Quebec wanting to specialize in the production of breeding stock (breeders and multipliers) to improve the genetic potential of purebred animals and produce superior breeding stock. The basis of this program is that farmers who are members of the PEG (genetic evaluation program) can count on measurements form certified technicians, have access to genetic expertise, technical support as well as a national database.
For more than 30 years, PEG has enabled farmers to reduce back fat in pork by nearly 8 mm, in response to consumer demand. Nowadays, the increasingly present issue of product differentiation arouses a particular interest in meat quality traits such as marbling.
In a highly competitive business context, the program aims to further improve other economically important traits such as growth traits, feed conversion and maternal traits.
List of participating breeders in 2018-2019
For more information, please contact:
, M.Sc., Agr.
418-650-2440, ext. 4310